Michael Tarwater's practice includes commercial and residential real estate and corporate law. Michael represents businesses and business owners through their life cycle, including incorporation or formation of limited liability companies and the drafting or reviewing of contracts. In his real estate work, Michael has experience drafting and modifying leases and sales contracts, residential real estate closings, and the representation of homeowners’ associations.
Michael is also one of the founding members of Horack Talley’s Beer, Wine & Spirits practice group. This legal team was formed to provide representation to and serve as an advocate for craft breweries, wineries, and distilleries across the Carolinas. Starting with an abiding appreciation for the art of hand-crafted libations, Horack Talley’s BW&S group contains lawyers from several of the firm’s venerated practice areas and brings decades of insight and experience to bear on behalf of this growing North and South Carolina craft industry.
The Beer, Wine & Spirits practice group offers a comprehensive array of services, including:
• Incorporation / entity formation
• Assistance with selection of the best location for your brewery, winery, or distillery
• Acquisition or leasing of real estate
• All aspects of due diligence
• Federal, state, and local licensing and permitting
• Labeling compliance and trademark
• Packaging, selling, and distribution
• Employment and employee issues
• Contract issues
Michael is on the board of the Starlight Society, a group of young professionals that funds special projects that benefit patients and their families at Levine Children's Hospital. Michael is also a member of First Presbyterian Church in uptown Charlotte.